Not too long ago we shared a terrifying story about a parasitic amoeba called Naegleria fowleri that feeds on human brains. It's a rare occurrence, but one which until recently (more on that below) has almost always been fatal. Now the same deadly microbe has been found in the water supply of Bernard Parish in Louisiana... and it may have taken another life.
According to CNN, the water in Bernard, along the Gulf Coast southeast of New Orleans, was tested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention after the death of a young boy from amoebic meningitis. Testing found the chlorine levels in the water too low to kill the parasite.
Now before you start freaking out, the CDC states that the water is still safe to drink and cook with, but they do advise against getting it up your nose. You can find additional info and safety tips at CDC.gov.
At least there's some good news to report: an experimental drug has recently been found effective in fighting the amoeba, as proven in the case of the 12-year-old boy in Arkansas who recovered after being infected by the parasite at a water park this summer.