While the future of Ghostbusters may not be clear, nothing can take away from the greatness that is the first film. I vividly remember seeing the movie in the theater and being really freaked out by Sigourney Weaver levitating over the bed and I loved it.
That entire summer, the logo was everywhere. I mean you couldn’t go past an airbrush or iron on t-shirt vendor along the boardwalk without seeing something Ghostbusters related.
Now, airbrush t-shirts may not be coming back this summer but the film will be. To celebrate the 30th anniversary, Sony will be re-releasing Ghostbusters on 700 screens this August 29th.
Following that, on September 16th a new collector’s edition Blu-ray set of the 1st and 2nd movie will go sale. Both films are new 4k transfers, so they will look better than you have likely ever seen them. And of course there will be special features:
GHOSTBUSTERS Blu-ray Special Features:
- NEW! Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 1)
- NEW! Poster Art Gallery – Gallery 1988 artwork
- NEW! “Ghostbusters” Music Video – Ray Parker, Jr.
- Legacy Content:
-- Slimer Mode – Picture in Picture and Trivia Track
-- Commentary w/ Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis & Joe Medjuck
-- 10 Deleted Scenes
-- 1984 Featurette
-- Cast and Crew Featurette
-- SFX Team Featurette
-- Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
-- Ghostbusters Garage: Ecto-1 Gallery Storyboard Comparisons
GHOSTBUSTERS II Blu-ray Special Features:
- NEW! Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 2)
- NEW! Deleted Scenes
- NEW! “On Our Own” Music Video – Bobby Brown
For more 30th anniversary information or to pre-order the Blu-ray set head over to Ghostbusters.com