It's May, and the time is right for... sexy lady vampires! Or so it would seem, based on two pieces of news I just received. First, Synapse will release the Hammer classic Twins of Evil -- starring Peter Cushing and Playboy centerfold twins Mary and Madeleine Collinson -- on Blu-ray and DVD on July 10th. And comic creator Mark Wheatley has announced a new contest inviting aspiring writers to craft a story based on his new lesbian vampire painting titled (appropriately enough) "Lez Vamps". More info on both projects -- as well as full art images -- after the jump.
Here are the details on Synapse's release of Twins of Evil: "Luscious Playboy centerfold twins, Mary and Madeleine Collinson, bring new blood to the legendary Hammer Films fold in this new transfer of a most elusive film in horror history, John Hough's Twins of Evil , now on Blu-ray and DVD from Synapse Films!
"Two beautiful orphaned identical twins, Maria and Frieda Gellhorn (Playboy centerfold models Mary and Madeleine Collinson), move to the village of Karnstein to live with their uncle Gustav Weil (played by Hammer horror favorite, Peter Cushing), a fanatical puritan and leader of the local witch-hunting 'Brotherhood.'
"The village Count (Damien Thomas, Never Let Me Go), is an evil man who secretly practices Satanism, uses black magic and transforms into a bloodthirsty vampire. Unhappy with her new life, Frieda seeks escape and tragically falls under the spell of the Count. Now overcome with an insatiable delirious hunger for fresh human blood, Frieda has to hide her secret from her sister, and escape her uncle's killing grasp!
"The wait is over! The Hammer horror classic Twins of Evil is now available from Synapse Films in an all-new 1080p high-definition transfer and loaded with intoxicating exclusive special features. Also stars Kathleen Byron (Black Narcissus), David Warbeck (Lucio Fulci's The Beyond) and Dennis Price (Jess Franco's Vampyros Lesbos)!"
• THE FLESH AND THE FURY:
X-POSING TWINS OF EVIL (84 mins.) – Feature-length documentary on the making of TWINS OF EVIL!
• THE PROPS THAT HAMMER BUILT: THE KINSEY COLLECTION – Featurette (Blu-ray exclusive)
• Motion Still Gallery
• Original Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots (Blu-ray exclusive)
• Deleted Scene (Blu-ray Exclusive)
• Isolated Music & Effects Track
Director: John Hough
Starring: Peter Cushing, Dennis Price, David Warbeck, Madeleine Collinson,
Run Time: 87 minutes
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1
Format: DVD/Blu-ray combo
Region: All Regions
UPC Code: 654930314098
Catalog No.: SFD0117
And here's the full art and details for Mark Wheatley's lesbian vampire project, which was just announced on Facebook...
This painting, called LEZ VAMPS, was created by Mark Wheatley for the wildly popular FLESH & BLOOD series of graphic novels by Robert Tinnell and Neil Vokes. But any number of stories could be written to explain this scene. With that in mind, we are having a contest. We want you to write something that will blow our minds. If your story is the winner - you will collaborate with Mark Wheatley on an illustrated eBook edition, much like his BRIDE OF THE FOREST story, available from his facebook FAN page.
WIDE OPEN CONTEST RULES
SUBMIT – Anyone who can write, can submit. You can submit stories, poems, songs, haiku, comics or even recipes – as long as you can relate it to Mark Wheatley's painting. Let your imagination run wild. But please keep the stories in the English language.
JUDGING - Simply put – If we like it – it gets published. This is a very arbitrary selection process – just like the REAL PUBLISHING WORLD! Your work will be judged by a group of writers, editors and artists who all think they know more about writing than the average Joe. And we are still trying to talk Joe into being a judge!
REWARDS – Your most important, winning reward, if selected, is PUBLICATION as an illustrated eBook, designed and illustrated by Mark Wheatley. While the LEZ VAMPS painting will be used in this eBook, Mark will be adding additional art to the package. He might be inspired by your contribution! (But he doesn't have to!)
Everyone who enters will get SOMETHING.
One GRAND PRIZE Winner (drawn at random from all the published submissions) WINS a SIGNED and REMARQUED giclée print of the contest painting.
THE FINE PRINT (as opposed to the ART print)
1) You must guarantee that the work is original and you are the author and you grant Mark Wheatley the right to publish it. The authors retain copyright on their work, but grant Mark Wheatley full permission to self-publish it and market it in eBook form on his websites and facebook page.
Mark Wheatley can only accept submissions by the authors themselves. By submitting you state that you are the author of the story and hold all the rights necessary for allowing Mark Wheatley to publish.
2) Understand that Mark Wheatley will be selling the eBook compilation on his facebook page and possibly through his websites for a reasonable price. But he won't be sharing any money with the contributors. First, from past experience, there may not be much money involved. Second, the paperwork/headache just isn't worth the effort, especially if there are many contributors.
3) If the work is picked up and published by a paying market, Mark Wheatley will split the money from that publishing use 50/50 on a prorated basis, where the art is 50% and all the written material is 50% and each contributing author's portion of the work is figured by page count. With notice to Mark Wheatley (just so we know what is going on) authors can publish their contributions wherever they like, but if they wish to sell it to somewhere including Mark Wheatley's illustrations, he has full approval and will recieve 50% of the sale.
4) We reserve the right to make minor edits on the story, such as spelling, grammar, etc.
5) All entries should be submitted, pasted into the body of an eMail – no attachments will be accepted.
6) eMail entries should be sent to email@example.com with the subject heading WORTH 1000 WORDS – SUBMISSION.
7) Entries need to be in by June 1.
8 ) Don't forget to include your name, link and info in the eMail, so we can give you full credit for your story. If you have a facebook fan page or web site that you want to publicize, please include that info. If you have a brief bio that supports your work as a writer – please include that as well.