It’s tough to believe, but even Martha Stewart has a dark side. Actually, if you remember that time she was arrested for insider trading and consider that she’s rumored to have no less than nine personal assistants, she does come off like some sort of maniacal head of a homemaking empire.
At any rate, this extra evil, extra black cocktail is perfect for the creature and Kay and any other monsters you want to invite to your party. The key is the licorice ice cubes. Here’s the recipe, straight from the Evil Queen of Entertaining’s website.
Black Lagoon Ingredients
• 4 ounces vodka
• 2 ounces Rosemary-Lemon Syrup
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• Licorice Ice Cubes
1. Combine vodka, syrup, and juice in a cocktail shaker, stir to combine. Add seltzer, and divide between two glasses filled with licorice ice cubes. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: This drink is clear when first poured, but starts to darken as the black ice cubes melt. To make serving multiple cocktails easier, multiply and mix the vodka, syrup, and lemon juice in a pitcher. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve up to 3 hours. Pour mixture into glasses over licorice ice cubes, then top with seltzer
Rosemary- Lemon Syrup Ingredients
• 2 lemons
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 cups water
• 2 sprigs rosemary
1. With a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from lemons, leaving bitter white pith behind. Combine peel plus remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain through a fine sieve (discard solids), and chill.
Cook's Note: Syrup can be refrigerated up to four days in an airtight container.
Licorice Ice Cubes Ingredients
• 4 cups water
• 2 tablespoons anise seed
• 2 to 4 drops black food coloring
1. Bring the water and anise seed to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve (discard solids), then stir in food coloring. Pour into ice cube trays (preferably square), and freeze.